Saturday, May 22, 2010

One Month

And what a month it has been, so I’ll start from the beginning. Our flight was delayed leaving London which meant we missed our connection in Denver. If you haven’t flown international lately, you have to go back through security after customs, which on a Friday at 5:30pm is daunting. We were told to go through security and head down to the gate where the next Salt Lake flight was leaving in hopes we could catch it. We asked the agent if he needed to re-tag our bags and he assured us that wouldn’t be a problem…famous last words. We got down to the gate which was of course the furthest away gate possible in Denver and they were boarding. We were told sorry, we can’t get those bags on this plane and if we can’t get those bags on this plane, you can’t get on this plane. Because of 9/11 bags and people are supposed to match on planes. This was super frustrating because by this time we’d been up 24 hours and we were told we’d have to sit around the Denver airport for three hours waiting for the next flight. We were so irritated, especially when we got to SLC and our bags were waiting for us, you know the way bags are waiting when they arrived on AN EARLIER FLIGHT! We were so tired in Denver, waiting around eating over-priced pizza. I don’t quite know how the conversation devolved but at some point Angelina was crying saying that we don’t love her. I know it was exhaustion and travel talking. I honestly didn’t know what to say since all I wanted to do was lay down on the floor and take a nap so I stood up and said, “Okay, well I’ll meet you at the gate”, and we all walked down close enough that we could all see each other out the corners of our eyes but not close enough to actually hang together. Still pouting over I still don’t know what, she didn’t want to sit with us at the gate, which ended up being a problem for her since the woman sitting next to her had this annoying habit of smacking her lips together constantly. Everything was fine once we got to SLC, again, not sure what that was all about.

We were supposed to get in about 7pm but instead by the time we got our rental car and got to our rental place, it was after 1am. I was so tired but the temporary house we have for two months was so cold and had unfamiliar sounds that my sleep was restless.

The next morning we walked out our front door to the stinky smell of a blossoming Bradford pear tree and it felt like home.

No comments: