Friday, May 9, 2008

King Lear at the Globe Theatre



Work has taken over my life so I’m behind in posting so let’s get to it. Last Saturday after looking at a very depressing rental home, I decided to call up the Globe and see if they had a ticket to the evening’s performance of King Lear. If I was going to go, I wanted to have the real experience, so I bought a groundling ticket which is £5 (around $10.00). Where can you see a live performance of anything for those prices? Don’t answer that.

The weather was perfect for it, which is something to consider since groundlings are subject to the open roof. The sky was perfectly clear. The performance was authentic, with no fancy stage production as you see in the West End, the only modern touch was some lighting. I really thought I liked King Lear until I had to stand for three and a half hours and it was not even over yet. Don’t get a groundling ticket! I’ll stand like that for my favorite band, but there’s usually the adrenaline rush of being at a concert. Not so when watching a tragedy!

No comments: