Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Bank Holiday Weekend

This past weekend was a three-day weekend. People were surprised to learn that there was not a three-day weekend in the States. The closest we get is going down to the local Mexican restaurant after work and having a margarita on Cinco de Mayo, right? I worked a good bit of the weekend. Sometimes if drowning at work, there is no point in trying to relax. It’s impossible. There were some nice moments though.

Friday night one of my work colleagues invited me out to dinner at the local pub. She lived in the States for a few years so it was nice to compare experiences. For some reason, we got on the topic of trash cans (bins here). She mentioned that the reason you never see bins at the tube stations is because they used to be used for IRA bombings. I told her that I have noticed a lack of trash bins everywhere in London, but this explained a lot.

I had my first appointment with an agent to look at a property to rent. It didn’t leave me with a good feeling. I’ll have to write more about the different types of properties here in a later post. I was standing outside the place waiting for the agent and out of the very close next door neighbor’s door came a very loud couple with a three year old and a big dog. Now our family can be loud, but I have a feeling we couldn’t be that loud.

Saturday was a stunning day so after visiting the property I took the train to London. In the middle of downtown London traffic there was a guy driving a mint condition early-70’s (I’m guessing) corvette convertible, complete with the steering wheel on the left. It felt like everyone stopped to watch it pass.

No comments: