Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Highlights of The National Gallery




Saturday was a busy day with the Royal Albert Hall in the morning and a West End musical in the evening. In-between I took a stroll through the National Gallery, picking up a map at the entrance which pointed me to the collection highlights. The two pictures attached to this post were probably my favorite of the highlights. “The Arnolfini Portrait” by Van Eyck is so famous. I’ve seen it in art and history books for years and it was even featured in the opening credits of Desperate Housewives. It didn’t disappoint with its rich colors.

For weary tourists, The National Gallery offers a combination that few can refuse. The admission is free and they have very comfy seating in some of the rooms. So comfy, I saw a man with mouth wide open fast asleep.

No comments: