Thursday, January 10, 2008

All Quiet on the B&B Front

The B&B is a different place these days. My work colleague H and I are the only guests and L & P, the owners are in America until this weekend, so L’s mom and dad are here taking little B back and forth to school and preparing breakfast for us. I miss L’s smiling face, asking me if I’d like a cup of tea when I come in from work, but it is also nice to have some quiet as I ease back into work life.

My housemate N left the day I returned. We were hours away from seeing each other at Heathrow. After living in the UK for eighteen years, he is settling back in New Zealand, where he was born. I will miss him for two reasons. The first, he made so much noise slamming doors and getting his bike out of the garage in the morning that I never had to set an alarm clock (housemate H totally agrees). The second, he had a great sense of humor and would entertain all of my cultural questions. I look forward to hearing all about his adventures as he starts his new life.

No comments: