Sunday, November 25, 2007

I, Restaurant Critic

Last year during the Christmas holidays I read Ruth Reichl’s Garlic and Sapphires about her experience as a food critic. Although she had tired of the job by the end of the book, it did not sway my opinion that being a food critic would be an awesome job. However, I also know my limitations. While I love food, and have the hips to prove it, my inability to distinguish flavors as she does in that book would probably make the reviews pretty short. It didn’t stop me from accepting the challenge when Timeforone asked me to review a Persian restaurant for them. The context of any restaurant review for them is if the restaurant is a good choice for a single diner, as well as the food and the service. I can certainly do that! It also gave me my first excuse to wander into Chelsea and check out the area.

The dinner was really delicious and if I had not been doing this officially, I probably would have missed out eating there because the candlelit atmosphere looked a little intimidating for a single diner. However, the service was so good that I didn’t at all feel out of place. There will be more on the website about my experience. The host ordered for me after we discussed the menu and his recommendations were spot on for my tastes.

Humous and hot pita (chickpea and tahini dip with garlic and lemon)
Kulouche (feta cheese in light phyllo pastry)
Joojeh Kebob (chargrilled chicken kebob marinated in lemon, garlic, and yoghurt)
Jewelled Rice (basmati rice with saffron)

After Dinner – Latte with a small piece of baklava

1 comment:

Poodlebugz said...

I loved that book! I was not so much in love with Comfort Me with Apples, but the shrimp curry recipe in that one is very tasty, and makes a ton.

I'm with you about the whole "distinguishment" of flavors...sometimes, I just know it tastes good, it makes me happy, and I have no idea why.

I do like the idea that you are doing reviews for the "Single Diner." You've had enough practice dining alone during your traveling trainer days, so you know better than most what makes a good dining experience for the lone eater, especially one who is new to the area.