Sunday, October 21, 2007

Saturday Visit


I left Chesham in the dark Saturday morning and chilled to the bone. As I passed frosted windows on cars, it was obvious the season had changed. Here I was in a long-sleeved t-shirt, sweater, and jacket, and I was freezing. The coffee shop wasn’t open as I headed to the tube station and so I was in a very dour mood. If I don’t have caffeine in the morning, I begin to think the world is coming to an end.

I met my friends S and B at their hotel Saturday morning. They were heading to a football game at 3:00pm so we decided to meet early and do some sightseeing. Before I got to their hotel, I stopped by a coffee shop and got my fix. I wish I could have taken a picture of the coffee shop without looking like a tourist because the lattes that the waitress was effortlessly making were truly beautiful. There was also a large wooden table with a lot of people sitting around it and there was a sign that said bread and jam £2.00. It looked like maybe an all-you-could eat table filled with fresh baguettes, butter, and strawberry jam, however, it was one of the moments where I didn’t want to be a tourist and ask if that was the case. I got my drug and left.

When I asked what B thought of London on his first visit he said it was busy. I don’t know if I was just more conscious after his comment, but it did seem busier than usual. I was telling them that after a visit into London a few weeks ago I had come back to the B&B and asked L, if when she walked down the street, does she naturally veer towards the left or the right if someone also on foot is coming in her direction and she said, something like, whatever makes sense at the time. We Americans always tend to go to the right, so the streets of London seem even more chaotic with people walking on both sides. The three of us stopped at a cafĂ© and then walked along the Thames down to Big Ben. It was a beautiful walk because for just that bit of time it was so peaceful it felt like we were the only people in London. They are heading to the countryside today and the weather has been beautiful. I hope they enjoy the trip.

We had decided to go visit the Winston Churchill Museum and underground war rooms. S had been to the war rooms but the Churchill Museum opened in 2005 so that was new to all of us. If you want to know ANYTHING about Winston Churchill, visit the museum. There is an interactive table in the middle where you can touch different dates during the war and see exactly what happened in history and what Churchill was doing on that day. The war rooms were interesting as well. Obviously with the London bombings, World War II is much more alive here than in the States. There were two chilling pictures on display. One was of Hitler standing in front of the Eiffel Tower, and the other was the destruction around St. Paul’s Cathedral during the London bombings.

By mid-day, S and I were stripping off our layers. The day turned out to be beautiful which makes the attached picture quite appropriate. In the war rooms this sign would report the weather above. I wish we could have spent more time together. They were off to get some lunch; I was off to run some errands and head home. I can’t wait to hear what they thought of the football game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are back in London! (This hotel has free Internet -- yay!). It was so great to see you! The game was actually a lot fun -- my book stayed in my purse for the whole time! It was entertaining to watch all the fans as they get REALLY into the game with all sorts of cheers. There were some rowdy tweens in front of us and I had to restrain my inner-librarian to keep from telling them to quit looking at icky pictures on their cell phones. Again, great to see you on Saturday.