Sunday, October 21, 2007

Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire



So after I left S and B and ran my errands in London, picking up a book and some souvenirs that I want to get in the mail this week, I passed a street vendor roasting chestnuts. They were selling like crazy. I’ve never had a chestnut and got swept up in the moment and thought I would eat them on the tube ride home. He handed me the bag which had about seven roasted chestnuts in it for £1.50 (about $3.00) and I soon realized I had no idea how to eat them. I stopped and peeled away the outer layer. They kind of look like tiny brains under the protective coating. I don’t think I will buy them again. They were okay, but the texture was kind of mealy and it reminded me of an under-cooked baked potato. Maybe it was the vendor, but it just wasn’t my thing.

2 comments:

Beth said...

It was not just you. I have never liked chestnuts. I had two trees in my house on Camille and I never figured out a way to make them edible, but one of my mom's best friends loved them.

Poodlebugz said...

The whole theory of hot roasted chestnuts is always better than the actual hot roasted chestnut. I remember as kid, probably going through my David Copperfield phase or something, begging some relative to roast chestnuts and being sorely disappointed with the taste. But, hey--it's always good to try something new...i want to try being rich!! : )