Saturday, October 13, 2007

Oxford for a Day






L has been trying to get me to hire (rent) a car here especially since N was visiting and wanted to go to places like Oxford. On the bus the trip takes two hours, in the car only one. Well, L wasn’t calculating in the problems I would probably have finding things for the first time. I decided that while I did need to rent a car soon and start getting comfortable, it didn’t need to happen with N here where her life could be in jeopardy!

Friday we went to Oxford. As we left the house in the morning and I told L we were taking the bus, she laughed and said “Chicken!” Due to a scheduling problem it actually took us three hours to get home, but we just laughed it off and got through it.

We had a very nice day, taking a tour on one of the open topped double-decker buses, walking through the courtyards of the various colleges, and then having dinner at The Bear pub which is one of the oldest pubs in Oxford. It was very tiny, with lots of character. N wanted to try something local so she had the sausage and mash and a red ale. I had a delicious steak and ale pie; the best pub food I have had since I have been here. As we were getting off the double-decker bus earlier, N and I were talking about how treacherous the stairs were to get to the bottom floor of the bus. I am surprised I have not yet seen someone fall down one of those staircases, I always fear it will be me. Well, the ladies restroom at The Bear has almost the same staircase as a double-decker bus. I can’t imagine that there hasn’t been an accident or two over the years. All I had was sparkling water and I barely made it without a scratch.

As we ate our dinner I had to laugh watching a table of students study the pitcher of ale brought back to their table as rounds were purchased. Every time it was a five minute conversation about whether the barkeep had stiffed them by not filling the pitcher up to the proper line.

No comments: