Thursday, September 6, 2007

Going Home

Now that I have an official work permit, I have to go back to the States and visit a British Consulate to file official paperwork which will allow me to live and work here for five years. I leave on Saturday, so I will be very happy to see my family again, even though I know I will be only with them for a week and then having to come back alone.

Funny, I was telling someone here that my plan was to fly to St. Louis, then on Monday drive up to Chicago (closest British Consulate), file my paperwork, and hopefully drive back in the same day so that I can help H. finish up the last bits in the house so it can finally be listed. They asked me how far Chicago was from St. Louis and I told them five hours. They gasped and said, “You’re going to drive? Manchester is three hours from here and I would fly there”. I laughed and said that Americans love to drive, maybe it starts out of necessity, but I truly think it is in our blood.

Here, when asking me about my future plans, they say, "Are you going to drive?" Of course! It's the next challenge on my list.

No comments: