Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Chase

I have been in several meetings discussing projects and whenever it is asked, for example, has John finished running the scripts, if the person being asked has not heard from John, they will say, “I will chase John about that”. That always makes me giggle because we never really use that phrase where I am from. I am very careful not to point out differences since I am sure I say things that make them laugh. Today I was in a meeting with someone who I know has a sense of humor and we were reading over notes and there it was in the notes, someone was being chased about a task. I laughed and said, that phrase really makes me laugh, which made him laugh and ask why, didn’t we say that? I told him that whenever I hear that I have this vision in my mind of two people in a high-speed chase on foot. Maybe I watched too much Baretta and Starsky & Hutch in my youth. I told G that it just sounded so aggressive, chasing people, and he laughed and said, “Well we only chase people we like”. I didn’t ask what they did to people who were not liked…

No comments: