Friday, August 17, 2007

Work Week One Comes to an End

Because an employee got let go I got a new laptop this week that has a UK keyboard. It’s been fun getting used to it because some of the symbols and punctuation are in different places. The first week is over. I’m back in my room having a glass of wine and relaxing. What have I observed this week? This did not all happen at work, mind you.

I heard someone called a fuckwit on the street. I had read of this in the book Bridget Jones’ Diary but never really heard it come out of someone’s mouth.

It took me four visits to the bank to get an appointment to get an account set up. The concept of meetings, appointments, time designations of gatherings seems to be different here.

Instead of getting food “to go” you get “take away”.

While I was in a meeting this week, someone got called out because they were the first aid contact and someone in the office had bumped their head and the first aid contact had to come have a look. Also I was in another meeting and the person I was meeting has some kind of fire marshall duty for the office and someone had interrupted us to tell him about some activity in the parking lot (called car park here). Basically in the U.S. you could saw off your arm in our office and no one would be designated to help you. Signage is everywhere. They must take workplace safety way more seriously.

I am feeling a bit low today. I miss my family and wonder if this decision to move was just crazy. Last night I got to worrying about my daughter A and the friends she will make here. What if she falls in with the wrong crowd? I guess that is a concern no matter where you live. I think I have been spending way too much time with just me and my thoughts.

No comments: