Monday, August 20, 2007

Next Stop B&B

Saturday morning was a moving morning. Our company has a taxi that shuttles me back and forth to work. I have had some of the same taxi drivers over the week and they are terrific people. Saturday I had a new driver that was taking me from my hotel to the B&B that will be my home for the next two weeks. He was an English gentleman that looked to be in his late 60’s. He greeted me with a smile and then when he saw my mound of bags he said, “I was afraid this was going to happen” as the trunk opened to reveal bags of groceries. I apologized and said that I should have told the dispatcher that I had a lot of luggage. He said no that wasn’t necessary and went on to tell me about the series of misunderstandings that had happened between him and the dispatcher that led him to be carting around a resident of Amersham’s groceries. I knew that Amersham was on the way to my destination, and seeing that there was milk in one of the bags I told him I was in no hurry so if he wanted to drop the groceries off, we could do that before heading to the B&B. He was grateful and so we did just that. He was such an animated talker that I enjoyed going along with him on this side trip. I wish I could have recorded everything he said because he was completely entertaining. I commented on the beautiful scenery between Amersham and Chesham and he responded with a very lukewarm “yeah”. When I chuckled at his response he commented on how you don’t appreciate “what’s under your feet” and said, “I have lived here all of my life…which has been 21 years… and a little bit”. We both laughed.

He dropped me at the B&B which is just a house in a residential area about five minute’s walk from my work. I was greeted by L and her husband the owners of the B&B. L’s husband had a Ramones t-shirt on and when I commented on it, he said he had worn it for my benefit since they were one of the greatest American rock and roll bands. So far, so good! She told me that she was a clown by trade and when showing me the closet where I could hang my clothes she mentioned that the suitcase tucked away in there contained a bunch of clown costumes. As I was leaving to walk to the office, I saw her car in the drive with a sign advertising “Rainbow Bigbottom”. Yes, this is her stage name.

1 comment:

K said...

Oh- the story about the Ramones t-shirt warms my heart. How sweet is that!