Saturday, January 15, 2011

Snowshoes Anyone?

I was talking to a co-worker one day in the kitchen asking what he did over Christmas and he mentioned that he’d been doing some snowshoeing and cross country skiing. I asked him more about snowshoeing like where one did this and if you could rent the gear. He said that REI rented snowshoes and polls which come in handy. I was interested.


Fast forward to last Friday night when H and I went out to dinner. I start telling him about this in the car when we’re coming home, how this co-worker went snowshoeing and how enjoyable it is. After 21 years of marriage, even before I can finish my story I can sense that H is just waiting for me to finish so he could say, what are you getting at here? So I finish the story with, “So would you be interested in trying that?” His tone was hilarious with a touch of outrage that I’d ever suggest such a thing and his response was, “Not especially…what’s the purpose?” Hahaha, and you know, I didn’t have an answer. I only answered his question with another question, something like, “Don’t you want to wear those cool snow shoes?” I don’t remember if there was an expletive in his response but I’m sure you can guess, his answer was no. I’ve been laughing about this conversation for over a week now. I’ve since done some research and found this website which touts snowshoeing as a fast-growing winter sport. Sport? Come on, that’s a bit of a stretch isn’t it? Nevertheless, I am interested in trying it because honestly the idea of skiing or snowboarding scares the devil out of me.

This actually got me thinking about that hilarious website Stuff White People Like which I’m listening to on audiobook right now and another popular activity here, snowboarding. Check out what SWPL has to say about snowboarding here.

No comments: