Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Brian David Mitchell Case

I have to admit I’ve been extra intrigued by the Brian David Mitchell trial since I can now read the articles and envision where these things have taken place. While the Salt Lake Tribune has been doing a good job of covering the story, I have preferred The Guardian’s coverage, since it’s more of an outsider’s perspective.  Great article.


I was talking to a co-worker who is a member of the LDS church and he said that it was fascinating how much Mitchell used actual LDS church language and practices and just slightly skewed them for his own benefit. It must have been very confusing and effective to a good Mormon girl.

Since my experience before I moved here was visiting Utah County, which is very conservative and very LDS, I was having trouble envisioning this Mitchell character panhandling in flowing robes and not sticking out like a sore thumb.  But now that I've spent time in Salt Lake City and seen that eccentrics seem to be welcome, I get it.

No comments: