Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Cream of the Crop

About a month ago I was listening to one of my favourite podcasts, Sound Opinions, and a listener left a message in their feedback section suggesting that someone needs to do some research as to why all the good music in 2009 comes from a small country like England when America is so much bigger and produces so much crap (I’m paraphrasing). Friday as I was eating my lunch I read this article which asks why is America kicking Britain’s ass when it comes to inventive television. The answer to both questions when you are evaluating a country’s exports is that you’re getting the cream of the crop.


My buddy R in DC recently sent me a message asking me what good television shows were happening here in the UK and since Gavin and Stacy has ended I racked my brains trying to think of a single British television show I’m watching these days. Instead I am basking in the glory of getting the best that the U.S. has to offer without having to purchase all of the pay channels to get it, shows like Nurse Jackie from Showtime, True Blood from HBO, Glee, Mad Men, and many more. With few exceptions, the imports make us look really good!

I sent a comment back to Sound Opinions about the listener’s concern. I explained that the entire spectrum of English music is not represented by what makes it to your shores. They don’t know that on Friday about 5pm when you turn on the radio to head home almost every station is playing awful techno, they don’t know that the songs that dominated the charts this past decade weren’t by hipster bands, but watered down remakes by reality show contestants. It’s just an illusion that the grass is always greener.

No comments: