Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Day Style



You don’t see many people in snow boots here even if it’s snowing. Most of the time they are in their wellies and I imagine that’s because it doesn’t snow that often, but also having boots you can just rinse off come in handy. I’ve been wearing mine on my walks this break because from moment to moment you don’t know if you’re going to be walking in mud, ice, snow, or a combination of all three.


By the traffic on the trails today you can tell the Brits love a good New Year’s Day Walk. In the morning it was below freezing , but the sun was shining bright and it began to warm up. I had on my standby favourite red sweater pictured here which is as dressy as I’ve gotten since I’ve been on vacation. My wellies were caked with mud by the time I got home. I ventured out to a different trail and I was kicking myself for not having my camera because the land around me was truly beautiful.

Older women in England still dress in a formal style that you don’t see every day in the U.S. I’ve noticed them on the bus, with their rolling shopping bags in smart shoes, nylons, and proper tweed skirt. They look so refined with every hair in place and their handbags tucked into the crook of their arms even if the market is their only destination. As I was walking today I came across two of these handsomely dressed ladies on the trails. They each had on a wool overcoat with a Christmas corsage, a nice wool skirt, and nylons looking like they were headed to church. I glanced down at their feet and noticed they had on muddy hiking boots and knew that this was their annual New Year’s Day walk. They made me smile.

No comments: