Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Eight Dollar Tomato


My friend C’s boyfriend jokingly calls the upscale grocery store Whole Foods, Whole Paychecks because of the high prices. We were in Kensington on Saturday and decided to stop in the Whole Foods there, the only one in London. Call me nostalgic for Southern summer days but I felt the need to buy this beautiful tomato imported from France on Saturday. In our American offices, whether you grow them yourself, or a co-worker supplies them, homegrown tomatoes are common and I do miss them.

When we got up to the register and saw that after weighing the damn thing we were paying about £4.15 for one tomato, H and I couldn’t look at each other for laughing about it. The tomato was incorporated into both Sunday lunch and dinner so it didn’t go to waste but it really was flavorless. Sigh.

No comments: