Sunday, May 4, 2008

Cultural Work Differences?

I have had the misfortune lately of several projects coming due at the same time. Therefore, I have worked evenings and weekends in order to quickly turn things around. It is important if you are working with both the Australian time zone and American time zone to be a bit flexible or you lose a lot of time. I don’t complain about it, I just do it and right now without the family here, it’s no big deal.

Someone at work said to me that they were trying to decide if I was a workaholic or not which made me laugh. I explained that I am not, because I don’t feel the need to work overtime all the time. I just know that if there is a due date for something, I will work late nights to meet it if I have to. To me that is not being a workaholic, that’s doing your job. They just looked at me with a most puzzled expression and walked away. There does seem to be some differences in work style and I will not comment on whether one is better than the other, just different.

No comments: