Friday, May 23, 2008

Bagels on Brick Lane


The last few weeks of my pregnancy with A were filled with sleepless nights. I remember one particular morning when H was heading off to work I said to him, “By the way, I made homemade bagels last night so take some to work with you”. If you have ever made homemade bagels the traditional way, you know this is a time-consuming process probably best not started at midnight.

Last Sunday I decided to do the Soundmap Brick Lane audiowalk. Brick Lane is in the east end of London and has quite a history. It used to be the Jewish area of town. One of the signs of this is the bagel shops that have been there for years. I visited the Beigel Bake, which I am told is the oldest bagel shop in London and open 24 hours a day. I would have loved to take some pictures inside the shop because one of the bakers was taking huge baking sheets of bagels out of the boiling process. I picked up a bagel and cream cheese and it was delicious, very chewy and traditional as a bagel should be, and what a bargain! Here’s a picture of the door to the shop. You can’t tell this from the picture but the line of people buying bagels was out the door.

My friend E in Houston would have loved this place. Since she grew up in New York she was very particular about bagels and couldn’t stand that bagel shops were springing up all of the country that 1. didn’t boil their bagels and 2. sold sweet varieties like blueberry. I can still hear her now, “Bagels are a savory food item!”

No comments: