Friday, April 4, 2008

Last Day in Melbourne




What was I going to do on my last Sunday in Melbourne? I had a full work day on Monday ahead and then a late night flight that night, so this was my last free day.

I walked down to the local coffee shop and had my last latte in a small glass. I then took a trip to the well-known Victoria Market. Victoria Market is a mixture of farmer’s market and flea market. I picked up a few small gifts and just enjoyed walking around. To the rest of the world Ugg boots are pretty popular and you can get them at the market for a good price. I am told by an Australian that they just consider them house slippers and not anything that you would really wear out. I thought about getting A a pair but couldn’t imagine spending $89 Australian dollars on house slippers!

From the market I walked to Fitzroy, one of the suburbs of Melbourne known for their cafes and contemporary art. The buildings were interesting and the shops were funky. It was a good day.
When the Monday work day was over, and I was taking the tram to meet a colleague for dinner, I was a little sad to leave. It had been an absolutely exhausting month, but I also got to see a tiny bit of a country I never imagined seeing and I met some wonderful people.

No comments: