Friday, January 25, 2008

Who's Going To Walk Through The Door Next?

For the past week since my work colleague H has been on a business trip, I have been the sole guest at the B&B which has been nice. I’m not feeling particularly sociable. As I came home from work the other night in a foul mood, there was a scooter parked in front of the B&B and instead of the scooter being parallel with the sidewalk, it was perpendicular. I was about to tell L that some idiot parked their scooter outside the house at the perfect angle to be hit, when L introduced me to the new guest and told me that she had ridden her scooter all the way up from the coast to attend a course in town. Glad I kept my mouth shut.

Over breakfast I asked her what kind of course she was taking and it sounds like hypnotism, but called it by another name. She said that she had first learned about it from a television program. I had visions of late night programs in the States that promise insomniacs the answer to their prayers for the bargain price of $59.99. She said it had helped her quit smoking as well as lose two stone, which I now know is 23 pounds. I tried to mask my skepticism as I spread jam on my crumpet. I wanted to tell her that if she wanted to work her voodoo on me across the breakfast table, that would be great, but I had no expectations. She had also told L that she had been conned out of a significant amount of money by a man recently, and surprisingly she wasn’t referring to the person that accepted her payment for her class. I couldn’t help but think about that saying, “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me”. I guess all the world over, we are all looking for the answer, and willing to take a chance when we think we have found it. Bless her, she is a nice lady, I hope it works out. I just wish she wouldn’t park her scooter like that. It makes me anxious.

No comments: