Monday, January 28, 2008

Hampton Court Palace



With my British Heritage Pass in hand, I headed to Hampton Court Palace Saturday morning, taking the tube into London and then a short train a little further. Frommer’s London 2008 tour book says this about Hampton Court Palace:

“The 16th century palace of Cardinal Wolsey can teach us a lesson: Don’t try to outdo your boss, particularly if he happens to be Henry VIII”.

No surprise, they sell Showtime’s television program The Tudors in the gift shop at Hampton Court Palace, and I couldn’t help but think of Jonathan Rhys Meyers while walking around the palace. Interesting fact for American readers, shows that run on pay channels in the States like The Tudors are sometimes run on the regular channels here.

Like The Tower of London, the tour guides try their best to make history come alive, dressed in period costumes and telling the visitors all about life at the palace. I went through part of a tour but then because you also get an audio tour, I chose to break away and explore on my own.

No comments: