Monday, January 28, 2008

Gary, Indiana

My high school buddy R in DC sent me the following link of these amazing pictures of Gary, Indiana. Born and raised there, I have always been fascinated by the decline of the city, and I truly believe this decline leaves its mark on the psyche of its inhabitants. My grandfather lived with us until his passing and when our neighbor across the street agreed to drive him (my mother wouldn’t dare go down there), he would go to a barber in downtown Gary. One Saturday I was allowed to go and we spent the afternoon driving around the vacant buildings hearing stories about what they were like in their heyday.

A few years ago, me and the family were at a St. Louis Cardinals baseball game and were sitting high up in the seats. It was their last season in old Busch Stadium. Two young guys were sitting behind us and they were talking about going to a game at Wrigley Field. Then one said to the other in the most mocking tone, “When we go up there, what I need to do is take you to a Gary Railcats game, you won’t believe it!” I didn’t hear the rest but I looked behind me at that Abercrombie & Fitch wearing sissy boy and instantly wanted to knock him out of his seat, take off my shoe and beat him with it. Cause that’s what we do in Gary. All kidding aside, it really angered me. Especially if this kid was from St. Louis because there are some parallels to downtown St. Louis and downtown Gary.

Anyway, I thought I would share the pics with you in case you are interested in what was once called the Magic City (I believe Birmingham, Alabama, another steel town has been called the same).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting because, Birmingham is also in decline!

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I always enjoy looking at the urban exploration sites. There's always something moving about seeing once great structures slowly decay.

I think there's some slow work to renovate the Standard Liquors building and create condos there. Maybe one of these days, that building will be filled with families and life again, instead of standing empty and lifeless.

Right in the area around the City Methodist church (Horace Mann) is a brand new neighborhood complete with a swimming pool and clubhouse.

Gary, Indiana has fallen hard since its glory days, but despite all of the hard knocks and tough times, there are signs of a brighter future.

Anonymous said...

"Signs of a brighter future?" One has to wonder what type of glasses this individual is looking through? Mayor Clay makes former mayors like Mandich and Chacharis look like respected civic leaders! Clay epitomizes sleaze and graft.

Even though I was born and raised in Gary (no longer living there, thankfully), when required for travel, I take steps to go around Gary, not through. I do not feel safe, because it is not safe. Persons were murdered at the exit ramp I take, the gas station I always stopped at and along my route of travel.

The city will be long dead by the time folk get done waiting for "a brighter future" to arrive. It is way past time to take the bull by the horns and save the Steel City, Magic City, City of the Century.

Dave Yaros said...

To take a virtual tour of Gary, Indiana, and learn some of its history, permit me to call your attention to a web site which provides extensive information on the

Development
History
Politics
Government
Economics
Ethnic diversity
Past & Present People/Places/Events

of the "Steel City," Gary, Indiana. Of course U.S. Steel is covered, particularly the "World's Largest Plate Mill," the 210 inch Plate Mill. The site gives a thorough and understandable explanation of how steel is made. It also details the tragic story of the 1981 murder of Gary Police Lt. George Yaros. The web site has many photos and does permits users to contibute/participate in a blog.

The web site is Dave's Den

The web site url is http://GDYNets.WebNG.com