Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas Do

Last night we had our Christmas Party in London. We all shared taxis in, which is the first time that I have travelled to central London by car. It was further justification for always taking the train since the traffic is just horrible. We had a few guests from the States at our party and one of them was sitting next to me at dinner. A partner of one of the UK employees leaned over and asked him what the Christmas do in the States was like and the response was a very puzzled look. I told the partner that “do” is a verb to us, we don’t use it in exchange of a word like party or gathering. When I looked up “do” on dictionary.com today at the end of a very long list of entries was the following: Chiefly British. a festive social gathering; party.

The event was really beautiful, and it was black tie so everyone looked great. At one moment during the evening I was thinking to myself that if someone would have told me that in 2007 I would be sitting in a hotel in London celebrating Christmas I don’t think I would have believed them. I had said to one of my friends at the beginning of 2007 that it was going to be a good year, a year of change. I hadn’t anticipated how much though.

Since our taxi was late picking us up, I had that fatal one more glass of wine, the one that takes you past the merry mood to feeling very bad the next day. Therefore, I will be enjoying another British experience, the duvet day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you have any pictures from the event, I'd love to see them! I can't imagine a more festive city to celebrate Christmas!

I was just thinking back to all the parties at the Heritage club in HSV...

Was there any inappropriate dancing at the London event? Ha!