Sunday, November 18, 2007

I'm with My People, and about 20,000 Other Screaming Fans


Yesterday was a beautiful day. A feeling of serenity washed over me in the a.m. knowing that I was able to get two tickets to a sold out Foo Fighters concert in London without paying more than face value for them. I took housemate N with me. He loves American rock music. When lead singer Dave Grohl talked to the crowd in between songs and said “Well shit”, and shit was two syllables because of an exaggerated southern accent, it warmed my heart. This show was bigger than any of theirs I have seen in the States and the fans were definitely the most committed. Almost every one in the stadium had either a new or a past Foo Fighters concert shirt on. You don't see that in the States.
The O2 Arena is a beautiful place. I tried to take some pictures outside but they did not do the venue justice. It's an entertainment complex with the music arena, several restaurants, a movie theatre, as well as a skating rink all under one big tent. I hear that it was built for New Year's Eve in 2000 but has been a bit of a white elephant. Finally, they are using it to its potential. Since most people take public transportation to the O2 Arena, it was a bit of a nightmare to get out, but it was worth it.

1 comment:

Poodlebugz said...

OMG! Foo Fighters!!! Lucky you!