Sunday, November 18, 2007

An Expensive Venture

There is a new fancy grocery store in Rickmansworth that’s only three stops away on the Tube. So I ventured there tonight to check out what they had by way of Thanksgiving offerings. I was particularly interested in knowing if they had the following in stock:

Turkey
Cornmeal
Pumpkin
Disposable foil pans

I left with two things, two pieces of olive bread and a slice of goat cheese I bought from the deli to make a sandwich, not exactly Thanksgiving fare. They had none of the things I was looking for. They did have fresh turkey breasts (bone in) and they were about $22.00 each. When I went searching for the cornmeal, I saw something called corn flour and thought, maybe this is it, but as soon as I picked up the bag and felt it, I knew it was corn starch. I was very disappointed.

When I got home I told Lorraine about coming home empty-handed and she told me not to stress about it. I told her that I may have to cook something else that is American instead of Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if you mean cornmeal as in yellow stuff that comes in different grades (fine, medium, coarse).. try an asian or caribbean food shop. I picked up a bag of cornmeal from a shop catering to asian/caribbean/polish people in Manchester, and its not in city center or anything like that (quite out of the way) so i would've thought you'd be able to find one in London easily enough.