Friday, October 5, 2007

Visit to the British Library



My friend B had sent me an article about the British Library a few weeks ago and since then I have been wanting to visit. The British Library is a big deal. I was looking over their upcoming programs and saw one that spoke to me

Race, religion and rock ‘n' roll: How Bruce Springsteen saved my life - Sarfraz Manzoor

Sarfraz Manzoor was three years old when he emigrated from Pakistan to Britain in 1974. His teenage years were a constant battle to reconcile being both British and Muslim. Frustrated by real life, he sought solace in TV and music, but it was when his best friend introduced him to Bruce Springsteen that his life changed forever.
Retracing his journey from Lahore to Luton to Ladbroke Grove he pays tribute to the power of music to transcend race and religion – through the minor frustrations of his childhood to his response and analysis of the tragedies of 9/11 and 7/7.
Attendees are invited to partake in a brief iftar of dates and water, followed by a selection of halal canapés and juices.
Sarfraz Manzoor is the author of recently published Greetings from Bury Park, Race, Religion and Rock ‘n' Roll.
Supported by the Eccles centre for American Studies, The British Library and the United States Embassy.

First of all, the British Library is a stunning and very welcoming building. It is part research institution, part museum with many historical documents on display including the Magna Carta, illuminated manuscripts, some works of Shakespeare, and the handwritten lyrics to the Beatles’ Ticket to Ride and She Loves You. There was also a very nice exhibit on the establishment of India as an independent country and the creation of Pakistan. I knew nothing of the history there, as embarrassed as I am to admit it.

The beauty of the library is always the variety of people that you see there. As I stood in line to get a map and a ticket to the lecture, a man who I would guess was in his 50’s was in front of me and his bald head, face, scalp, and neck were completely tattoed with piercings sticking out all over his ears, nose and mouth. I have never seen anything quite like it. I wish I could have taken his picture.

The lecture was great and I bought a copy of the book and am reading it now. Just as I have always been fascinated with England, I am reading a book by someone who has had a fascination with my country. When I was talking to the author I told him I had recently moved to the UK from America and he wrote a personal inscription in my book that reads “J-, I hope the UK agrees with you!”

No comments: