Wednesday, October 3, 2007

First Trip to Starbucks

It’s now autumn. The leaves are changing and the spiders seem to be out in full force. One of the autumn treats that many of my friends and I look forward to is the Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks. They are delicious!

A few nights ago L and I were talking about when I thought my family might get here. I was saying that I hoped November but if they weren’t here in November I wasn’t sure if I would go home for Thanksgiving or not. She started asking me about Thanksgiving and so I gave her a little historical background and also described the meal. I mentioned pumpkin pie. She said, “Pumpkin that you carve, in a pie?” I laughed and assured her it was good. I told her that if I couldn’t buy pumpkin at the store that I should have H. ship over some of the solid pack pumpkin so I could make one. I might die without pumpkin pie!

So having forgotten our conversation, I headed into Starbucks after work to treat myself to a Pumpkin Spice Latte. As I stood at the counter looking at the menu, it dawned on me, there will be no Pumpkin Spice Latte here! I thought about asking the barista behind the counter and thought better of it.

For those of you in St. Louis, if you like Pumpkin Pie you must get down to Ted Drewes and have yourself a pumpkin pie concrete. You will think you have died and gone to heaven.

P.S. I won’t be making regular trips to Starbucks, that’s for sure. I decided to grab a sandwich for dinner (ham and cheese with Dijon mustard) with my tall hazelnut latte and it cost me about $12.30. The coffee drinks are about double here than they are in the States. So now I’m sitting here wide awake but still hungry!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a million questions for you that are totally going to turn me into an ugly American...therefore I will not be asking them here on this blog :)!!! Because of this...I thank you very much for giving me tidbits like this one about pumpkins. I mean really? No pumpkin?

hmmm...I am now wondering what else would be totally "foreign".

Didn't the pilgrims start the pumpkin thing or something!! HAAHAHA! I am just trying to make you laugh...but I will be doing further research now on the origin of the American use of pumpkin!

I am still loving this blog! You are so good at it!

I have yet to get my hands on a copy of Into the Wild but there are discussions flying on every media outlet here. The newest thing...if you haven't heard...is that there are a lot of copy cats popping up!

Take care! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Do they have Vampire wine and Pumpkin-scented air freshener? Is it possible to experience autumn without pumpkin pie/ravioli/cheesecake???

Laura Parker