Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis Coverage Big in the UK

I am sitting here watching "Young Elvis in Colour" on the BBC, a documentary about his early years. All of the news shows have had local Elvis impersonators on them, and The Times chronicled some English fans' pilgrimage to Graceland this week to mark the 30th anniversary of his death. This documentary contains footage of early UK impersonators. Oh my!

I was lucky enough to visit Graceland last year with my work colleague's C and J. We had a terrific time, but I can't imagine crossing an ocean for it. Everyone that has visited Graceland that I know remarks on the same thing - it is smaller than you imagine. But what is bigger than you expect? The cockroaches at Alfred's on Beale Street. We chose to have lunch there and we still cringe when we think about what we witnessed. Visit Memphis, but don't go to Alfred's!

No comments: