Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Mini Marathon

I have a longtime friend who is also working on a workout plan. It’s been one of our topics of conversations for too long to admit. She’s started seeing a personal trainer, a young man who has one of those Southern frat boy first names that is actually a last name to most people, like Mason or Harper, so while I’m sure he shows up for the sessions in some kind of workout gear, in my mind he shows up in boat shoes with no socks, some plaid shorts and a polo with the collar popped. Her stories about their sessions make me laugh out loud, mostly because when he asks her to do various things she doesn’t give in without a fight. She told me that whenever he asks her to run she asks him to tell her a story to help her through it. I’ve been thinking about this for the past five weeks and it makes me smile every time. I wish he was there with me when I start running telling me a story too.


I started this in the UK and didn’t finish it but this time I’m determined. I just finished week 5 of the nine week Couch to 5K running program. Yesterday was the day where I had to run for 20 minutes nonstop for the first time in the program. I told A, who was also running on the track that if I died in the middle to kick me over to the side so I was out of the way for the other runners. I made it through but did require a nap in the afternoon afterwards, lol. I told A we need to plan to run a 5K in the spring. It’s our 2011 goal.

The typical signs of the weight loss resolutions are all in place. Yesterday A and I made a run to the mall and in a department store we passed a display of those Skechers Shape-Ups. Contemplating a purchase was an older lady who looked to be accompanied by her adult daughter and her husband. As we passed I heard the daughter say to her mom, “You’ll fall over!” in that what the hell are you thinking you’re not buying those tone. Just as my teenage years flashed in front of my eyes when they said "it's a girl" in the delivery room, my senior years flashed in front of me at that moment, when A will be getting her revenge on me, refusing to let me make a crazy purchase.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG.. I am laughing so hard! - Margaret

Mary Bergfeld said...

I really did love to read this. My "A" already believes I can't run my life without her. I don't often comment but I wanted you to know how much I enjoy visiting here. You are never boring. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary