Sunday, December 19, 2010

Breakfast Recipe

Pumpkin – I’ve been obsessed since I returned to America and always have a can of pumpkin on hand. This recipe originates from Jessica Seinfeld’s Deceptively Delicious cookbook but I’ve modified it. Yes, Jerry Seinfeld’s wife wrote a cookbook and if you have picky eaters who won’t eat vegetables, this book is brilliant.


Pumpkin Oatmeal

1 c. skim milk

1/8 c. packed brown sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

½ c. solid pack pumpkin

Healthy pinch of sea salt

1 c. old fashioned Quaker Oats (not the quick oats)

Mix everything but the oatmeal on a saucepan on medium heat. When it starts to slowly boil, add the oatmeal and cook for two minutes.

If I have time, like on weekends, I will toast some nuts in a pan to put on top, whatever we have in the house. I’ve tried it with pecans, walnuts, and almonds and they’re all good.

This recipe makes two servings.

Be warned, it doesn't look too pretty.  I've had both members of my family walk into the kitchen, look in the saucepan and say, "What is that?!"  I think it's delicious, filling, and has the power of oatmeal and pumpkin in one bowl!

No comments: