Saturday, July 4, 2009

Manchester Pics





Because I was there for work, the most I saw of Manchester was walking to and from the train station and then walking to the evening events. The most notable thing because it is different than London is the number of red brick buildings. I had lots of interesting conversations with customers, and most of them revolved around the North/South divide, accents, and the heat. Everyone looked more than a little bit wilted. One of our customers from Newcastle was telling me about moving not far up the road to Scotland and how the word “canny” has a different meaning in both places. I had to ask him to spell it and explain that word has no meaning at all to me! I found this Geordie dictionary which has a definition of canny. Geordie is the dialect spoken in the Newcastle area.

No comments: