Thursday, May 21, 2009

Eurovision






A said it best when she said, “I can’t believe I sat through the whole thing”. As I drove A and her friends to school Friday morning her friends were talking about watching the Eurovision final on television Friday night. They had to explain to her what it was. They acknowledged its cheesiness but also couldn’t wait to watch it. I thought we needed to tune in to experience it at least once. Been there, done that. All I can say is wow. I’ve figured out that there are three elements that make up a winning performance:

1. Lots of color
2. Cheesy pop song
3. And more importantly…a fan for that windblown effect

Two countries did their best to try and stack the deck, Germany and the UK. The UK had their entry perform with Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber, hoping his pedigree would bolster their chances. But Germany went in another direction. They hired American burlesque star Dita Von Teese to strip down to a boustier during their performance. Who won in the end? Norway!

If you want to learn more about Eurovision and listen to some of the songs, go here. Just a warning, Azerbaijan’s song is an earworm of massive proportions.

No comments: