Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sunday Newspapers Know How to Draw an Audience

At a time in history when the news is filled with the bad, British newspapers on Sunday know how to draw me in. A few months ago I bought The Daily Mail on Sunday just because they were offering a free CD soundtrack to The Sound of Music. Okay, you may be wondering why I felt I needed that but singing “I am Sixteen Going on Seventeen” on the way home from a stressful workday can be very therapeutic (much to A’s horror). This Sunday was a tough call. I could have left the newsstand with four newspapers since I had my choice of a free Pet Shop Boys retrospective CD, a free DVD that contained the films Cabaret and The Fourth Protocol, a magazine of the greatest rock photos ever, or a booklet titled “How to Understand People”. While I probably am in most need of option number four, something told me that a free booklet in the newspaper would probably not get me any closer to understanding people, so I opted for the rock photos since it combined two obsessions into one. The reality of the economy ignored for a Sunday afternoon.

1 comment:

Poodlebugz said...

Not sure I could have given up the Pet Shop Boys! : )