Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year


Here’s to a happy and healthy New Year! We spent the evening at a gathering at the B&B. It was strange to turn on the television and not see the ball drop in Times Square but to see the London Eye and Big Ben instead. It was a beautiful fireworks display. I have never thought to myself watching the Times Square festivities that I wanted to experience that for myself, but hearing Big Ben chime, and to see that mixture of the old and new between those two iconic structures, that made me think for a minute that braving the crowd might be worth it. That thought didn’t last long!

A. had a friend spend the night last night. We got home from the B&B about 1:00am and A. announced that she was setting her alarm clock so she could wake up in the middle of the night and watch the Times Square coverage. We told her to think again and go to bed. I recorded the Kathy Griffin/Anderson Cooper coverage on CNN which was hilarious for all of the awkward moments. As I watched it this morning over my morning coffee I asked A. if she wanted to watch the countdown. She said that she was not interested to watch the recorded version as if some great injustice had been committed.

A random note on the radio, H gets frustrated on the radio selections here, but I think he is forgetting how much of American radio sucks. Even the classic rock radio stations seem to play the same playlist over and over again, when you would think by definition they would have an almost endless selection. Last night as we drove home from the B&B on one radio station we heard U2’s New Year’s Day, then Elvis Presley’s Suspicious Minds, and then Outkast’s Hey Ya. I can’t think of many radio stations that play that kind of variety. That’s alright with me.

(Picture courtesy of BBC.com)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hell, I'd pay good money to hear a radio station like that.