Sunday, December 14, 2008

Graduation Lunch - Basic Cuisine











Friday I took the day off to go with H to his graduation lunch for his basic cuisine course. The lunch was held at a beautiful hotel in central London. I was interested to meet some of his classmates and also see what the food would be like at a culinary school lunch.

The class is divided up into sections of around ten or twelve so he is always working with the same small group of people. H told me that on the first day of class they had to share why they were there and an older lady, not to be in his section, stood up and said that she has been cooking the same things for her family for about thirty years so they told her to go out and learn something new. I would have headed to the library and gotten a cookbook instead of investing in an expensive culinary course, but I guess there are a few different paths leading to variety at dinner time. It is a very international school, and for the first time in his life, H’s name is not the most unusual on the class roll. As I walked through the crowd, I heard more languages in one room than I think I have ever heard before.

We had a really nice lunch, which I photographed, and the service was impeccable. At some point I said to H that I needed to stop drinking. Every time I took a sip of wine someone was there to refresh my glass, making it impossible to really know how much you have had. Knowing that A was going to have three friends spend the night that night, I thought it would be a bad idea to walk into the house and need a nap!

When we got home A started heating up the frozen pizzas she was serving for her buddies as H showed me how to filet a Dover sole.

1 comment:

Poodlebugz said...

That lunch looked waaay better than anything we ever turned out in culinary school. Thumbs up to H!