Saturday, September 6, 2008

Family Without A Country

Downers come up here and there that make me pause and think, if I would have known that BEFORE we accepted the offer to move to the UK, would I have passed on the opportunity?

Finding out that getting financing for a car was not going to happen because we haven’t lived here for three years was a bit of a setback. Our U.S. bank will not offer us financing either since we no longer have a U.S. address. We have decided to keep going along without a car for a bit longer in hopes of saving and just buying something outright. I was irritated for a few weeks but now I am moving on.

Before H left the U.S. he got a letter from the university he had been attending in St. Louis encouraging him to come back because he was close to finishing his computer science/math degree. I felt sick when I saw the letter in the mail because I know it is difficult when you are at the end of a program to transfer to another school and feared that he would have to repeat a lot of classes at the school that he transferred to. I never dreamed after lots of research the amount that can be transferred is much lower than expected and that he could not get UK resident tuition rates because again, we haven’t lived here for three years. This answer has been standard at every educational institution and it triples the cost. For cryin out loud I pay taxes here!

1 comment:

Lee Anne Bryant said...

My husband tells me that last he heard from his coworkers stationed in the UK that with enough begging, a Ford dealership will finance for you.