Friday, September 5, 2008

Facebook and Old Friends

For a number of reasons, I recently took the plunge and created a Facebook account. Much to my surprise through this account, we were able to re-connect with a couple that we were friends with when we lived in Germany. We had lost touch with them about twelve years ago and I was so happy that we have found them again.

Moving back to Europe this past year, I have thought a lot more often about our time living in Germany. I now realize a military move is much simpler than a corporate move, due to all the assistance (and full-sized American appliances) that the military offer. I have also thought about all the bits and pieces that you pick up from friends along the way that become part of you as time goes by. We are all just amalgamations of the people and places we have known. Before knowing this couple, I had never heard anyone yell, “Roll Tide!” before, and I had never tasted homemade crawfish etouffee and other wonderful Southern treats. I am changed for knowing them, and glad to catch up with them again to hear about their adventures since we last spoke.

If you’re thinking of an old friend that you lost touch with, there’s no time like the present to try and find them.

No comments: