Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Birthday Celebrations

This must be a general rule in Europe that when it is your birthday, you provide the cake for the celebration. It was the same in Germany and the Americans that I worked with there were hell-bent on telling our German co-workers how they were being robbed of a true birthday by having to do the work. They didn’t know that it should be their time to sit back with their feet up and make others provide the cake. And if someone didn’t follow through, it should be their prerogative to hold a grudge against them eternally. One of my favorite memories ever is my friend L in Huntsville making me a homemade German Chocolate Cake (homemade chocolate buttercream and that coconut pecan stuff) while I sat on her couch and enjoyed the Oscars broadcast when I was pregnant. Now that’s a birthday celebration!

Last week we had a birthday in the office and the birthday boy brought in several different cakes. I had to take a picture of this one since it was delicious and a new experience. This Wikipedia article is kind of interesting. Who knew that like wildlife, our favorite cakes could also be “extinct”?

No comments: