Monday, June 23, 2008

Yes, We Are Americans

We skimped on furniture but invested in a good television. I rationalized this by the fact that we will only have one television, two less than we had in Missouri. When the electronics company called and left a message to say that they were delivering the television on Thursday, the guy said at the beginning of the message, “Wow that’s quite an accent”. Funny, I have been focusing so much on everyone else’s accents that I didn’t even think about what I might sound like to others. Of course I had to play my voicemail message to see if I was particularly nasally Midwestern when I recorded it, but actually I think I sound pretty respectable.

The television arrived Thursday. A has been saving her money for about a year for a Nintendo Wii which she got yesterday. Suddenly instead of reading the copy of Charles Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities I checked out from the library, I want to sit on the couch and watch music videos with A. Just when I thought my television addiction had faded, it’s back in full force.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know...I think of you as sounding a lot like Madonna. This is what I am expecting the next time we actually get to speak to one another :)!