Thursday, April 10, 2008

American Life

The rental car company didn’t have my compact car ready (reminds me of a Seinfeld episode) so they gave me an upgrade. I am driving a Ford Explorer and no kidding, if I doubled the width of this vehicle it would be as big as the room I rent in England. For some reason the seats were all down in the back and I didn’t bother to change this since I could just slide my suitcases in. When I took my friend T to lunch and he got in the car his first question was, “What are you hauling back there?”

A few weeks ago I was talking to a British colleague who said that you can always tell Americans by their straight white teeth. I explained that orthodontia is a right of passage and that teeth whitening is wildly popular. Even I didn’t realize how popular it was until I was walking through a Utah mall this week and saw two dental chairs in the middle and someone getting their teeth whitened right there in front of God and everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can top that! They are now doing it on the show floor at ALA! Can you imagine taking a quick break from your job for a quick teeth-whitening session in full view of your customers?!?

Anonymous said...

Remember the "Big Book of British Smiles" from the Simpson's episode where Lisa gets braces? ;-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qw1Eb98TZ8&feature=related

Poodlebugz said...

Hey, if you get a chance and are back in Utah in the summer, go up to Bear Lake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Lake_%28Idaho-Utah%29)
on the Utah-Idaho border and have a raspberry shake. I was up in Logan, on a site visit at Logan Library, and took the scenic route from Logan to the lake. The lake is so very blue--that tropical ocean blue--and so very large. They grow a lot of raspberries in that area, and there are a ton of mom and pop burger stands, each one saying their shake is the best shake. There's also cabins and summer houses--looks like what I imagine the Andirondacks looked like in the 50s and 60s.

MW