Thursday, March 20, 2008

Taking Care of the Dead (?)

We went to a birds of prey show, which was interesting. During this show, the presenter gave the audience instruction on what to do if they hit an animal on Australian roads. If the animal is alive, there are numbers to call to get help so that a place like the sanctuary could step in and help. He also said that if you killed them, that you should pull them off to the side of the road so that one of these birds of prey could have a meal. I understand the point of this advice, but I don’t think I could do it.

It reminded me of a story that someone from the office shared. A woman was driving down the road and saw what she thought was a dead koala in the road. She stopped to move it out of the way, not realizing it was alive and it had a baby and the koala attacked her. They have some sharp claws. I hope this is an urban legend because my natural reaction to the story (not saying it was appropriate) was to laugh. I wasn’t focused on the woman getting her face scratched up. I was thinking about a koala fake-sleeping in the middle of the road. Actually it could have been real sleep because I understand that’s what they do for the majority of their day. But anyway, I would think you might get some unexpected results moving an animal that you think is dead.

No comments: