Friday, March 28, 2008

A Breakthrough on my Birthday

Since moving to the UK, I have had no reason to drive since I walk four minutes and I’m at work so I haven’t tackled the left side of the road. Tonight, as I was leaving work with a co-worker to go to dinner at another co-worker’s home, C threw me the keys and said, “Drive me”. Luckily she has an automatic so I didn’t have to deal with learning to shift with my left hand.

It felt awkward, but went okay, although it required a lot more attention than usual, which made me silent for practically the whole journey. The most awkward part was that the turn signal is on the right side of the steering column. So I probably accidentally turned the windshield wipers on about five times to and from our destination, thinking I was hitting the turn signal. I felt like someone had pushed me into the deep end of the pool, which I needed, and I will be grateful to her for that. I celebrated a birthday in the Southern Hemisphere and got over my initial fear of something. So instead of counting the gray hairs on my head, here’s to writing up a paragraph (not quite a chapter) in the book of life.

1 comment:

Poodlebugz said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I can't feel too bad about it being belated, since you are in AUSTRALIA!!! (I know, it's not all fun and games being away from home, even away from your 2nd home in Great Britain, but it is pretty cool!)