Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Evolution of Teenage Pants


When I say “pants” I’m using the American term. I realized after telling little B that his pants were nice, and getting a most puzzled look from him that in his young English mind, pants mean underwear.

Every generation has some fashion trend that sacrifices practicality for cool, or at least what they think is cool. When I was in high school all the girls looked like roosters, teasing and spraying their bangs to amazing heights while the rest of their hair was sometimes completely flat. I mean, what did that look like from behind? In a way it’s symbolic of the teenage mind, damn any other view, from the front I look awesome!

At some point in the 90s (?) boys began wearing extremely baggy pants and the waist of their pants didn’t begin until we saw a butt’s length of boxer shorts first. In the last few years with emo music, skinny jeans became the rage with boys wearing pants that look painted on, sometimes even wearing girl’s jeans to get that tight fit. Lately in London I have been seeing a disturbing hybrid of the two; skinny jeans in the leg, but a severely baggy ass that hangs way past the hip bones. This kid was walking in front of me on the street holding his girlfriend’s hand with one hand and holding his pants up with the other. The silhouette of this look makes the wearer look like they have a freakishly long trunk and short legs.

I guess it’s the sign of my age because I just don’t get it.

No comments: