Monday, January 14, 2008

Touring the Royal Albert Hall



While I am still hoping to see something at the Royal Albert Hall, I at least got to tour the building on Saturday. The tour is a reasonable cost, £8.00 and lasts about an hour. The tour guide provided us with some history of the Hall, took us to the most expensive seats in the house, also to the cheapest seats, and also answered all of our questions. She was probably thinking at the end of the tour, who is this nosey American? Everyone else in my small tour group was from England. Unfortunately you can’t take pics inside the venue, but I did take these outside of the building. Cirque De Soleil has made the Royal Albert Hall their home in January for the past several years, so as we were touring the building, we got to watch some of them rehearse.

At the beginning of the tour, the tour guide asked us all if we had ever been to anything at the Royal Albert Hall. I was in the minority. She asked each person to share why they had been there and the range was pretty awesome. We had everything from Eric Clapton, to the BBC Proms, to an older gentleman who had been part of the Remembrance Day memorial that the Queen takes part in every year. There was also a woman that had seen both Frank Sinatra and Shirley Bassey there. Because the building is round, the stage door seems right out there in the open. I had to ask if the stars really do use that door or if there was some underground tunnel or some other sneaky way to get in. She said that although there is a way to get into the building other than the stage door, that everyone who plays there, enters and exits that way. Hmm, my stalker self of course made note of this! :)

2 comments:

iLikeToBake said...

Hi...I ran across your blog because I'm trying to find out *which* door at Royal Albert Hall is the Stage Door...would you be able to tell me a number or like where it's situated in the building? My stalker self wants to know too :)hehe

Anonymous said...

I hope it's not to late - but the stage door is labeled "stage door". it's right next to "door 12".