Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Secret to an English Winter

The weather here has been in the 40’s and rainy every day. My boss asked me if the dreary weather got to me. I really hate the cold so I’ll take rain over freezing temps any day. However, I have had to learn to walk on the farthest part of the sidewalk from the street to avoid a drive by drowning.

Before Christmas, it was much colder. I woke up with a terrible migraine headache one day and decided to go back to bed. After telling L I wasn’t going to work, she put my breakfast on a tray and handed me a hot water bottle. My feet were ice cold so I put the hot water bottle in between my sheets and it kept me toasty all day. In my experience, you just don’t see people using hot water bottles often. This particular hot water bottle was actually little B’s and it came with a furry duck cover specifically to sleep with. My housemate H uses one every night too to keep warm. I was telling L that they just aren’t that common in the States, but I was not converted.

Before I came back to England, H and I went to Walgreens so I could buy one for myself and give little B his back. When I arrived, L had one all set for me in my clean little room. I haven’t had to use it this week, but it’s ready for the temperature drop.

No comments: