Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hampton Court Palace Kitchen


This will prove that I don’t have a drop aristocratic blood in me because while the tales of royalty are interesting, nothing has fascinated me more on these tours as the workings of the kitchen at the Hampton Court Palace. Once a month, the staff at the palace cook as they did when Henry VIII lived there and so now I must go back to visit and see this. The kitchen was also the only interior that could be photographed on the tour.

The audio tour that is included in the admission is quite good. It explained that the reason why the king had to move around from palace to palace during the year was partly because feeding the entire court would deplete the food resources surrounding the palace, so they would need to move on.

I was fascinated with this big fire place that was used to roast meat. As anyone knows who have toured castles, they are all very cold. So to be able to stand next to fire was very nice!

No comments: