Monday, January 21, 2008

Class Reunion - 2008

I was asking L if in England they have something equivalent to a high school reunion and she said that it is not as common as our institution. I am rolling up to my twentieth and part of the planning committee and cannot believe it! I know many people feel this way, they meet someone who is their age and they think do I look that old??? I feel very privileged in many ways to have grown up with the people that I did. They are real people. When we had our ten year, no one that I talked to wanted to engage me in a conversation of one-upsmanship (I don’t think that’s a word but I think you know what I mean). If it gives you any indication of our upbringing, more than one guy in our class has listed his most proud accomplishment as “not going to prison”. They joke but there is a kernel of truth.

Having met people from all walks of life, many of privileged upbringings, one thing that is glaringly obvious is that most people at my high school got nothing handed to them. To hear of them going out into the world and making a happy life for themselves just makes me smile.

No comments: