Thursday, December 20, 2007

Panto and Pudding

Since I was coming in on the train to London, I took the afternoon off yesterday to do some Christmas shopping and found myself walking around not able to make a decision. Instead I was thinking about what a terrible gift giver I am. As I headed home on the tube, it was obvious why I had felt so fatalistic earlier, a migraine was setting in.

Two things that fascinate me about Christmas in England is this dessert they call Christmas Pudding, which of course to us Americans, is no pudding at all. Our friends at Wikipedia have an interesting entry I'll attach here. I think next year, when I have a kitchen of my own I'll give this a go. Right now it just sounds disgusting.

The other thing is panto or pantomime. Everyone here assumes that this is a universal tradition, and I am here to say that it certainly is not. I had been planning to see one before going home for Christmas but I am running out of time. This may have to wait until next year as well.

No comments: